Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"I am Hip-Hop" Too... Sort of...

My ears are weird; accustomed to many kinds of sounds. From my grandma's naturally loud voice, to songs in different languages I don't understand, to rock and roll, alternative, indie to hip hop... my ears have been graced. However, the people that know me the most will probably categorize my favorite kind of music to be on the alternative side. It's understandable, growing up in the Philippines where alternative/rock and roll pretty much ruled the airwaves, I am definitely more accustomed to that kind of music. 

But hey, I like hip-hop/RnB too! Maybe not as much as when I was in high school, but I still am a fan (especially when it comes to the clubs). However, I rarely find myself being able to listen to a whole hip-hop/RnB album, because most of the time, you just want to skip to the popular singles. But there are those rare albums that really really impressed me that I thought I would share with you. 

Puff Daddy & The Family- NO WAY OUT
Okay, I thought of adding this one out of honesty, after all, it is the best policy. (You like that rhyming there huh? All in the spirit of hip-hop). Anyyywaayys, as I was saying, this I think is my first hip-hop album. I mean who didn't like this album during my high school days? Who does not keep the memory of Puff Daddy flinging his arms like crazy as he twirls non-stop on the VMAs as he gives tribute to Notorious B.I.G.? I don't know about you, but that "performance" is forever scarred on my mind. I mean, almost all the songs in this album was a hit! If you didn't like this album during it's peak, then you were not a cool kid... and I'd like to think that I was cool. One more thing, I knew all the words to "All About the Benjamins." Yeah! I was that cool! 
Jay Z- THE BLACK ALBUM
This was Davis days. I remember getting the album from my roommate "for the heck of it." For some weird reason, I will find myself listening to it constantly and being constantly impressed. I even find myself enjoying its little skits. I loved "December 4th."
Kelis- KELIS WAS HERE
This album is AMAZING. I can't stress that enough. This was released back in 2006, and to this day, I still play it. The only single that probably left a mark on many is "Bossy." Let me tell you, those "many" truly missed out. In all honesty, I didn't expect myself to be such a fan after that earlier "Milkshake" release. It was a random day that I ran into an amazing review of this album. I decided to give it a try, after all I was quite impressed with "Bossy." Every single song in this album had character and I'm not sure how successful this CD came to be, but it is one of my all time favorite albums.

Kanye West- GRADUATION
I liked the album. Then, I saw him in concert and truly saw that the man has the right to be so big-headed. He's talented. His concert was a one man show and yes, he does "talk with so much emphasis." I felt the album empowering. For example singing to "Can't Tell me Nothing" after visiting a high end store and no one willing to help you, because they just know that you're not going to buy crap; or singing to "Goodlife" after passing a test you absolutely thought you will fail at. See what I mean? Empowering! Admit it, the guy's good. 

Lil' Wayne- THA CARTER III
Out of every single one in this entry, I think this is the most unexpected. Initially, I liked it because it sounded good and the beats are good. But then, I really listened and his lyrics are just insane. He's clever, plain as that, or maybe, he really is a martian. 

Beyonce- I AM SASHA FIERCE
I always say, Beyonce deserves everything she has because she really does have talent. I admit, I like her past songs here and there... and then I hear this album. Now, I can't wait to see her in concert. This album is amazing, but I'm particularly obsessed with "Halo," "Smash Into You," and "Radio." I listen to this album almost "errryday!" Listen to it and I think you'll agree, she is Sasha Fierce. 

1 comment:

Emski said...

cool entree, i mean entry!